Encounters with Canada is proud to partner with the Embassy of Belgium to offer an exclusive, eight-day, all-expenses-paid trip to Belgium for five history-loving EWC Alumni Community members.
This exceptional opportunity is open to all EWC alumni, aged 16 to 18 years, and will include numerous events, workshops and tours of historical sites and museums, highlighting the First and Second World Wars.
Prior to departure for Belgium, the winners will spend three days in Ottawa to join government dignitaries to celebrate Belgian National Day and to meet Canadian celebrities, tour Parliament, visit museums, and make a nostalgic return to the Terry Fox Canadian Youth Centre!
Celebrate Canada's shared history with Belgium by creating a personalized, contemporary vision of John McCrae's celebrated poem, In Flanders Fields - a symbol of the sacrifices of all who fought in the First World War.
Contest submissions may be in the form of a card, poem, recital, play, video, photo, audio recording, choreography, visual artwork or essay, expressing what In Flanders Fields means to you.
Get inspired by learning more about John McCrae's history and what led him to write his celebrated poem, In Flanders Fields.
The contest deadline is February 28, 2017.
IN FLANDERS FIELDS
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
There are 5 grand prizes with a cumulative value of approximately $25,000. Each Grand Prize consists of an 8-day, 7-night trip to Belgium (Value: $5,000) for each winner, and includes:
- Transportation to Ottawa by airline (Air Canada or partner airline, coach class), rail (VIA Rail, coach class) or other ground transportation - from the winner’s hometown on July 19, 2017 (Note: the provided mode of transportation to be selected by the Administrator depends upon the distance and location of the winner’s residence);
- Hotel accommodation (shared double occupancy room at Delta Ottawa) for July 19 to July 22, 2017;
- Guided tours of selected cultural and heritage sites in Ottawa;
- Air flight (Porter Airlines or partner airline, coach class) from Ottawa to Toronto, arriving July 22, 2017;
- Air flight (Brussels Airlines or partner airline, coach class) from Toronto to Brussels, Belgium arriving July 23, 2017;
- Ground transportation to and from the airport and hotel in Brussels;
- Accommodation at a youth hostel in Belgium, and/or alternate overnight accommodation, as outlined specifically in the provided tour itinerary;
- Select meals, sightseeing tours and visits to special attractions, as outlined specifically in the provided tour itinerary;
- Transportation to and from all activities, as outlined specifically in the provided tour itinerary;
- Air flight (Brussels Airlines or partner airline, coach class) from Brussels to the major airport nearest the hometown of the winner to be selected by the Administrator;
- Ground transportation, if required, from the major airport to the winner’s hometown.
Enter below or download the contest entry form and email it to JOuellette@historicacanada.ca or mail it to the address located at the bottom of the form.